Office of Institutional Research and Planning
2016 Student Experience in the Research University (SERU) Survey Results
In the spring of 2016, the University of Kansas worked in coordination with the University of Minnesota to design and administer the Student Experience in the Research University (SERU) Survey. All active undergraduate students on the Lawrence campus (17,123 students in total) were sent a survey electronically. Entrance into a drawing for one of several prizes was offered as an incentive to complete the survey.
The SERU survey includes fourteen (14) sections that were sent to all recipients, as outlined below (response rates for each section are also provided):
- Academic Engagement (18.4%)
- Time Allocation (17.9%)
- Educational Experiences (17.6%)
- Campus Climate for Diversity and Inclusiveness (17.5%)
- Evaluation of Major (17.3%)
- Experiences in Major (17.2%)
- Co-Curricular Experience (17.1%)
- Academic and Personal Development (16.9%)
- Satisfaction (16.9%)
- Plans and Aspirations (16.9%)
- Paying for Education and Debt (16.8%)
- Background and Personal Characteristics (16.7%)
- International Students (79.6%)*
- Education Abroad (16.6%)
*Note: Only international students were asked to respond to section 13.
Survey recipients were also randomly assigned to one (1) of four (4) modules. Approximately 4,281 survey recipients were provided an opportunity to respond to each module. Modules are as outlined below (along with their respective response rates):
- Academic Experience and Globalization (16.6%)
- Community and Civic Engagement (16.1%)
- Student Life and Development (16.5%)
- Technology (16.0%)
Service units across campus were also asked to participate in the design of the survey, developing several supplemental questions that were included in the full survey. These questions were designed to provide insight into how services are perceived and how services might be improved on campus. These supplemental sections include:
- KU Libraries (16.0%)
- KU Edwards Campus (13.6%)
- Undergraduate Advising and Campus Services (16.1%)
- Legal Services for Students (15.7%)
- After Graduation – Senior Survey (17.4%)
How to read this document: This survey results document is organized to provide summary statistics of each section, including: number of valid responses, null responses, mean, and standard deviation. These summary statistics are provided for each question and sub-question, where a continuous scale is used. For questions where a continuous scale is not used, frequency statistics are provided. Null responses are also only provided for the core survey (sections 1 through 14) where all students were provided an opportunity to respond.
All questions with quantifiable results that were included in the final core survey are included in this report. Please note that if a question appears to have been skipped, that question number did not appear in the final survey for distribution.
The survey was developed by the Center for Studies in Higher Education at the University of California, Berkeley campus. More details about the SERU survey can be found on the CSHE homepage.
The KU 2016 SERU website has been archived but is available to view.
Questions about the survey results and administration should be directed to the Office of Institutional Research and Planning at firstname.lastname@example.org (full contact information below).